Friday, December 24, 2010

Ellie Loves...Christmas


What do I love about Christmas?

Well, let me tell you...

I love the text that my brother still sends me early on Christmas morning to see if I'm awake. When we were small we used to have adjoining bedrooms and would whisper to each other. As we got older we took up this tradition by text and even as we live separately in our own houses; we still do it. It warms my heart like you wouldn't believe.

I love that nothing much has really changed in our Christmas tradition, bar us all being taller, older, wiser etc. The routine is the same, the music is the same, the food is the same and always wonderful. It is a blessed ritual - a security blanket like no other.

I love seeing my parents pull together in the run up to the day as they create, as they always have, a special Christmas for our little family.

I love that we don't go anywhere on the day itself; we batten down the hatches and enjoy the familiarity of it all.

I love the Christmas Cracker jokes and hats.

I love the fact that there are two more people at our table, my Ivan and Lulu.

I love thinking that one day there will be even more...

I love that now, I am Santa.

I love that we still have stockings.

I love knowing that we always will...

I love the tin of Roses chocolates, the pudding, and the real fire that eventually gets so hot it makes us all sleepy.

I love how hard we all try to get presents to really please each other, even on ever decreasing budgets.

I love that it still makes us excited.

I love the busy anticipation of Christmas Eve, the stillness of Christmas Day and the lazy contentment of St Stephens Day.

I love that even as a 35 year old mother of one, I will not be able to sleep tonight!

Merry Christmas one and all.

x



3 comments:

FunnyFaceBeauty said...

What a nice post. Hope you had a great Christmas Ellie :)
If you haven't had a chance, please check out my giveaway. I have lots of great stuff to give away.

Ria said...

Loved this post :)
Happy late Christmas, and a fab new year!
x

Anonymous said...

That's such a cute tradition with your brother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...